Wednesday 21 January 2015

Cod & Spinach Curry


I think I may have mentioned before that I really never used to like fish curries and they were certainly something I would never order in a restaurant or as a take-away. I am now qute partial to them: never too spicy or over-powering as fish of course has quite a delicate flavour and you don’t want to mask it too much but something like this with a nice mild heat and freshness of flavour.

Unfortunately I am not sure where this recipe originated: it is possible I came up with it completely myself but i can’t be 100% sure. I do know I served it with “cauliflower rice” so it was possible I was in a mega-healthy phase. This is excellent for such times as it is low in calories and fat but also super good for you. But even when those things don’t mean a lot to you this is really very good and extremely tasty.


Cod & Spinach Curry
serves 2


juice ½ lemon
½ tsp salt
300g cod fillets, cut into large pieces
10 sprays cooking spray (or ½ tsp vegetable oil)
½ cinnamon stick
2 cloves
2 green cardamom pods
¼ tsp black peppercorns
5 curry leaves
1 onion, chopped
2 green chillies, deseeded & finely chopped
½ tbsp grated ginger
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
200g can chopped tomatoes
½ tsp turmeric
¼ tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
1 tsp ground coriander
130g spinach, roughly chopped

In a bowl stir together the lemon juice, salt and pieces of fish and set aside.

Heat the oil in a large sauté or frying pan. Add the whole spices and curry leaves, cook for 3-4 mins, then add the onions. Fry until the onions are soft and turning golden at the edges, then add the chillies, ginger and garlic and cook for a minute or so longer.

Tip in the tomatoes and the remaining spices and cook, uncovered, on a low heat for 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent the spices sticking and burning.

Pour 75ml water into the pan, bring to a simmer, then add the fish. Cover with a lid and cook for 5 mins more. Add the spinach and when it has wilted remove from the heat and set aside.

Serve with cauliflower rice or plain basmati if you prefer.





No comments:

Post a Comment