Thursday 11 April 2013

Hot & Tangy Lamb



I actually tried this recipe ages ago, probably not that long after these noodles and it was my second attempt at a Ken Hom recipe. Another extremely simple one at that. It was another that infinitely attracted me though: spicy lamb mince - what can possibly go wrong?

Ken Hom is of course a legend in his own lifetime: a Chinese American chef, regarded by many regarded as the world’s leading authority in Chinese cookery, with an OBE no less and possibly the best smile in the business.

Unfortunately however this recipe, taken from Ken Hom: 100 Easy Chinese Suppers, part of the My Kitchen Table series, also just didn’t do it for me. It’s not that it’s actually bad or anything. It was just not that great.

So that’s two recipes now that have not, in my opinion, quite cut the mustard. But I have the book now so I will persevere for a little while longer at least: another two or three tries I think but then Ken & I may have to part ways....


Hot & Tangy Minced Lamb
serves 2-3
 
1½ tsp groundnut oil
225g minced lamb
1½ tsp chopped garlic
1 tbsp chopped ginger
1 tbsp tomato purée
1 tbsp sesame paste (not tahini which is different)
2½ tsp dark soy sauce
2 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp chilli bean paste
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp Shaoxing rice wine
½ green chilli, finely sliced and a little chopped coriander to serve



Heat a wok until almost smoking and add the oil, closely followed by the lamb.

Stirfry for 2 minutes, using a wooden spoon to break up the lumps and then add the garlic and ginger and cook for another minute.

Stir in the tomato purée, sesame paste, soy sauce, lemon juice, chilli bean paste, sugar and rice wine.
 
Cook for 4 minutes then divide between 2 bowls and serve garnished with the chopped chilli and coriander.






No comments:

Post a Comment