Tuesday 12 March 2013

Avocado Toast.. And a Change of Name






Not so much a recipe than a guide to assemblage really, this is my version of avocado on toast. There is some debate online about avocado toast and whether it is or isn’t a pretty typical Australian breakfast or brunch. I had always assume it was and yet some quite vociferously state that not to be the case. I asked the bf this morning whether it is common in Oz or not and he said that it definitely was. Good enough for me.

Nanami (or nana-iro) togarashi, also known as shichimi togarashi or just simply shichimi, translates to "seven flavor chili pepper" and is a common Japanese spice mixture containing, funnily enough,seven ingredients. My blend contains ground red chilli, roasted orange peel, black and white sesame seeds, Sichuan pepper (sansho), ginger and nori (seaweed), but others may substitute hemp or poppy seeds, shiso and so on.

Avocados may be high in fat (about 75% of its calories in fact come from fat) but it is good fat, and they are rich in B vitamins, potassium and vitamins E & K too. An avocado a day keeps the doctor away. Maybe...


In other news, it has now been well over a year since I moved back down to London Bridge from N13. In fact, I've moved within SE1 already in that time and so I think it really is time to change the name of the blog. After all it is no longer my North London kitchen at all. Maybe it will in the future but in any case I've opted for the all encompassing London kitchen. That's better..


Avocado Toast
Serves 1


2 slices multigrain bread or sourdough, sliced medium thick
½ perfectly ripe avocado
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
½ lime
1 egg
nanami togarashi (optional)



Scoop the avocado out of the skin into a bowl. Season lightly with salt and pepper and a squeeze of lime and mash with a fork to the consistency of choice (I like mine with a little texture: not too smooth). Check the seasoning and add more salt, pepper and lime juice as necessary.

Meanwhile, poach an egg to your liking (the one in the picture is a little over for my tastes, a runnier yolk would have been preferred) and toast the bread.

Spread each piece of toast with the avocado, top with the egg and then sprinkle with the shichimi, or even plain old cayenne if that is what you have.





2 comments:

  1. Oh yum! The husband is Aussie so I'll need to ask him about this. I did live there for over a year and don't recall ever seeing it or heard it mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL.. funny isn't it - I'd seen so many arguments about it online, including some Australians saying that it wasn't common at all that I thought I'd best check with the Aussie bf before posting it. He said yes, but maybe it is a regional thing?

    ReplyDelete