Friday 24 August 2012

Lamb Shoulder Leftovers Ragu Tagliatelle








It’s been a very, very long time since I’ve paid any attention to this blog at all. It must be feeling very neglected. As guilty as I feel however I really don’t have much of an excuse. Sure life, as happens, got in the way to a certain extent but I think bone-idleness has been the real culprit.

Round at the boyfriend’s the other night I’d roasted a lamb shoulder for a few hours, making shallow slits in the skin and rubbing it all over with a paste I’d put together of ras el hanout, olive oil, anchovy paste, finely chopped rosemary, garlic, and salt & black pepper. This was served with lemon roasted carrot couscous (as can be found on this previous post) and looked so delicious (it was) I felt compelled to take a photo or two before we sat down to eat. I think that was what reminded me that I’d actually been missing writing posts for this blog and with a recipe already in mind for what I would do with the lamb leftovers I endeavoured to put things right.

Now of course I can’t promise that I won’t still be a little tardy and lazy, But, well, it’s a start.


Lamb Shoulder Leftovers Ragu
Serves about 6 (probably)


olive oil
leftover roast lamb shoulder, shredded (this was about 500g I think)
2 medium carrots, finely diced
2 sticks celery, finely diced
1 medium red onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 bay leaves
2 sprigs rosemary, finely chopped
½ tsp dried thyme (fresh would be better, in which case a few sprigs, leaves picked)
⅓ bottle red wine
2 tins of tomatoes - I used one of cherry and 1 of yellow plum
½ tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp anchovy paste
1 tsp tomato puree
salt & black pepper


Sauté the finely chopped vegetable and herbs in a good glug of olive oil over a low-medium heat for at least 30 minutes until the vegetables are softened. This is your soffritto, the basis of the sauce.

Turn the heat up a little and add the red wine, allowing it to reduce by about half. This may take 5-10 minutes.

Turn the heat back down to medium low and add the tomatoes, breaking them up with the back of a wooden spoon, as well as the tomato purée, sugar, salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes and anchovy paste. Leave to bubble away nicely for a good hour at least.

Mix the shredded lamb in to the tomato sauce and continue to simmer over a low heat for another hour. Or longer if you can.

Serve with tagliatelle, as I did, or pappardelle would be even better, a gremolata of lemon zest, garlic and parsely and some good pecorino or parmesan.

I think a glass of good red wine here is pretty much a must.


I thought I'd also put the picture of the original lamb shoulder meal here as well, being as it was also so tasty. Apologies for the photo, it was taken with my phone rather than my camera so it's not the best!




No comments:

Post a Comment